| 11:AM local time, Monday, June 2 (1800 June 3 UTC) 34 24 N 119 41 W. Temp. 67, Humidity 75%, Cloud Cover 100%. At the Santa Barbara Marina, Santa Barbara, California.
Greetings from the crew of Maverick.
We've been doing little but seeing old friends in San Diego and Santa Barbara. We were visited in San Diego by Sandi, the Sandi of Sandi and the Accents, and her husband David. David was once involved in a project to drive jet skis to Hawaii from Southern California, and they almost made it. Sandi was one of the greatest female singers I ever worked with, in my book right up there with Carla Thomas ("Gee Whiz") and Mary Wells ("My Guy"). Sometimes I think I would trade the whole circumnavigation to be transported back to the sixties and play one more gig with Frank, Don, Gabe, Doug, and Sandi.
In Santa Barbara as well as San Diego we were also visited by some Ericson 39 owners who had some questions. I changed the subject, since I had no idea what they were talking about. In Santa Barbara we hoped to meet Paul Moore, but what happened was, Captain Paul was supposed to return to real life after he helped get Okiva through the Panama Canal. But he wouldn't go home! So he and Francis are headed for Fiji. But a friend of theirs, Reg Daudert, came down to make sure we got settled OK, and was real helpful. I visited with some old college friends who've made good and there are no friends like old friends. Seaman and webmaster Jim Mead and friend Sue Haapaniemi came down from the Bay Area to bring our Badges of Merit from the Radio Council of America for the antenna we improvised in the Med after the lightning took out our antenna tuner. They stayed on the boat overnight, breaking Maverick's perfect record of inhospitality.
But now on to the issue at hand. Members of Maverick's Navy not otherwise occupied in pursuits relating to their busy lives, or more to the point, those who have no such pursuits with which to otherwise occupy themselves, are hereby ordered to appear without compensation at one or both of the following venues to celebrate Maverick's triumphant return. With the understanding that you should wait to make concrete plans until a confirmation later in the week pending weather, we are going to give the date of Saturday June 7th and stipulate the times as: Passing under the Golden Gate Bridge: 1:00 PM ( 2000 UTC), although we'll probably be visible, in the absence of fog, for at least an hour before that cuz sailboats go so slow; and sailing into Marina Bay, Richmond: 2:30 PM (2130 UTC). We will try not to be early at either location. Bear in mind that as soon as we get into the shipping channel, some time around 11:00 or 12:00, the circumnavigation will be official. Should the boat sink between there and the marina it will not alter this achievement, though it would make pretty good copy. As the mayor, the governor, the president, and Britney will all be there with their security details, you won't need to bring yours. Please, no pictures unless you have a camera.
To get to the Marin Headlands to watch as Maverick sails under the Golden Gate:
From the East Bay:
1. Take 580 West to the Richmond / San Rafael Bridge
2. Cross the bridge (toll direction, will cost $2)
3. Take the second exit after the bridge, Sir Francis Drake Blvd., and drive past San Quentin and the Golden Gate Ferry terminal and get on 101 South
4. Follow 101 South through the Waldo tunnel
5. Take the "Sausalito" exit, the last exit in Marin just before the Golden Gate Bridge
6. Turn left at the stop sign and make an immediate right up the hill.
7. Park near the bunkers on your left.
8. Follow sign to "Viewing Area" look for the Maverick group.
From the North Bay: Follow 4-8 above.
From the South Bay and San Francisco:
1. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge (toll direction, $5 but we're worth it.)
2. Take the "Alexander" exit (second exit after crossing the bridge, after Vista Point)
3. Bear left and then take a left at the stop sign following sign towards 101 South.
4. This will take you under the freeway. Before merging back onto the freeway turn right up the hill to the Marin Headlands.
5. Park near the bunkers on your left.
6. Follow sign to "Viewing Area" look for the Maverick group.
To get to Marina Bay where we'll finally step off the boat:
From the East Bay or the City:
1. Take 580 west to the Marina Bay Pkwy/S 23rd St exit in Richmond.
2. Turn left at the stoplight.
3. Go over the railroad tracks and turn right just past the condos on Regatta Blvd.
4. Take a left on Schooner then a right on Reggata Square.
5. Park in the lot and walk towards the water. To the left of the boat ramp is an open area overlooking the boats and this is a good place to watch us return.
From the North Bay or the City:
1. From 101 cross the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge (580).
2. Take the Marina Bay Pkwy/S 23rd St exit in Richmond.
3. Turn right on Marina Bay Parkway.
4. Go over the railroad tracks and turn right just past the condos on Regatta Blvd.
5. Take a left on Schooner then a right on Reggata Square.
6. Park in the lot and walk towards the water. To the left of the boat ramp is an open area overlooking the boats and this is a good place to watch us return.
PS to Walt: Thanks for the current info. We hope to come in on a dying ebb. We'll scoot into Baker Beach if necessary.
PS to Dave Tolmie: Britney promised to perform unless her second cousin, who is very ill with a slight cold, doesn't have a miraculous recovery. If she can't make it you could fill in with your kazoo and yo-yo act. Please wear dress whites.